This recipe is from Brown Eyed Baker and is definitely worth making. If you like margaritas, you will love these cupcakes!
For the Cupcakes:
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
Zest and juice of 1½ limes
2 tablespoons tequila
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk
To Brush the Cupcakes:
1 to 2 tablespoons tequila
For the Tequila-Lime Frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2¾ cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons tequila
Pinch of coarse salt
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit / 160 degrees Celsius and line your muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set it aside for use later.
- In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until it is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Slow down the mixer speed and add the eggs one at a time, making sure each egg is mixed in thoroughly.
- Add the lime juice, lime zest , vanilla extract and tequila to the mixture. Mix until combined. It may start to look a little curdled at this point, but that is OK! I think at this point it already smells so good!
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool for about 5-10 minutes and then place them on a wire cooling rack. While they are still warm, brush the tops with 1-2 tablespoons of tequila. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting them.
- To make the frosting, use the whisk attachment on an electric mixer. Add in the butter and whip for 5 minutes on medium-high speed.
- Reduce the speed to low and add in the powdered sugar. Once it is all mixed together, let the mixer run on medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Add the lime juice, tequila and salt and mix on medium-high speed until the frosting is fluffy. If the frosting is too soft, add some more sugar until the desired consistency is reached.
- Frost the cupcakes and add a lime wedge for decoration.